Sleep experts recommend making your bedroom as comfortable and sleep inducing as possible. Shutting off electronic items such as televisions, computers, and mobile phones and completely darkening your room are just some of the measures you can take an hour or so before bedtime. When these are not enough to induce sleep, you might consider aromatherapy diffusers for better sleep.
The quote “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise” is true for various reasons. Lacking a goodnights sleep due to sleeping late can raise many problems in your body and in your emotional balance. Many people after a lack of sleep to get cranky and short tempered, they are also known for a lack of balance in their life and in their decisions. Problems to the body can not only be physically such as dull skin and dark circles but also internal bodily functions are disturbs as the biological clock alters. It tries adapting your lifestyle but since it fails, the health consequently starts deteriorating hence it is very much important to align biological clock with the natures clock and help your body stay young and healthy.
It is easy to say and most definitely difficult to follow, there are many ways to motivate you to start sleeping early. If you stay up so you can watch your favorite show which airs at late night, you can always put it on recording for you to see the next day in the morning, this way not only will you have an alternative but also will be motivated to sleep early so you can watch the show early next morning. Avoid televisions, cell phones and bright lights near your bedtime so to send fewer stimuli to your brain and hence making it prepare itself for sleeping earlier. Also make a set routine of waking up early each morning this way your body will naturally get tired after a long and will retire itself way before you imagine it to on normal days. Try drinking milk especially at night time since it contains an amino acid known to raise the levels of melatonin in your body. What melatonin does is that it slows the brain activity hence making you drowsy and makes you prepare your body to sleep. Cut down caffeine intake especially near your bedtime. Heavy meals right before sleep are not good either since your body’s metabolic reactions will be very fast, it might make you drowsy since the blood will be rushing to your stomach but it will be unhealthy for you and also you will get up soon after you slept. Motivate yourself by doing exercises, the more you work out the more energy you will spend. This way by the end of the day, you will feel tired yourself and would want to go to sleep and so getting in bed won’t be too tough an activity to do. Read a book with low light, though not low enough to affect your vision. Try avoiding thought of stress and other problems or even creative ideas. You can jolt them down in a notebook and wait till the next day to think about them and brainstorm then. You can also order from your favorite restaurant if you are a food lover and wait or the morning to eat.For each person, the motivation comes in a different way, and hence you need to ponder individually in order to get your motivation according to what your hobbies wants and needs are.
You Are Welcome To Read :
Being disturbed in the middle of the night by noisy neighbors and housemates can interfere with your healthy sleep cycle. And when you are trying to go to sleep, the relative quiet can make every sound seemed louder. There are several machines on the market to help cover up the noise, but if you prefer the sounds of a fan without being chilled by the breeze from the fan, the Sound Conditioner SleepMate White Noise Machine can be an effective solution. It creates a soothing and consistent sound of white noise, and sounds like a perfectly designed and maintained fan. Unlike many sound machines, the Marpac 980 produces the sound originally, so there is no need for annoying loops. It is effective at covering up background noise including noise from neighbors, blaring TVs and stereos, a snoring partner or housemate, and street sounds. It has padding on the bottom to prevent vibrations.
While many people choose to go to the doctor for a prescription sleep aid when they are having problems sleeping, there are much safer and more economical solutions. One of the most economical solutions is the HoMedics SS-2000 Sound Machine, which costs less than a typical prescription sleep medication. It is designed for people who have trouble going to sleep, or staying asleep all night due to noise. With six natural sounds to choose from, it is likely that one will be soothing for you. The sounds include the ocean, rain, rain forest, summer night, waterfall, and heartbeats.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a form of integrated or alternative medicine that uses an aromatic compounds to alter the mind and mood, and improve the cognitive function and health of its user. Aromatherapy works both psychologically and physiologically to reduce stress, provide headache relief, improve sleep, boost mood, regulate hormones, relax muscles, improve the immune system, improve blood circulation, and heal skin diseases. Aromatherapy has been used for at least nineteen hundred years by countless cultures.
Benefits of Aromatherapy
Scientific research at leading universities in Japan and the United States has shown that aromatherapy has therapeutic benefits. Aromatherapy in itself does not cure any condition, but it does help the body to restore balance and cure itself by reducing stress and improving immune response. There are two ways in which aromatherapy works. The aroma influences your brain and limbic system when you inhale. The other is by working synergistically with your body to overcome stress, allowing your body to naturally heal itself.
When you sleep better, everything in your life seems better. The everyday stresses of life are manageable when you get enough sleep, and your body is able to heal itself and your entire body functions better. Aromatherapy is an effective part of a comprehensive plan to improve your sleep quality.
Aromatherapy materials, like any bioactive substance, should not be used by pregnant and lactating women. There is a chance that the oils can interact with medications or can cause allergic reactions. It is best to try a dab on your skin to test for allergies. Very few essential oils can be swallowed, so do so only under the advice of a competent aromatherapist or naturopathic physician. Keep these substances out of the reach of children.
Can Aromatherapy Help You Fall Asleep?
Aromatherapy has long been used to induce sleep and to increase the quality of sleep. It is much safer than prescription medications, and rarely has side effects. It may take some experimentation to see what works for you, since some aromas are calming for one person but relaxing for another person, and odors that you do not like will generally not bring about good results, or may take time to bring about the desired results.
Aromatherapy Oils for Sleep and Stress Relief
Aromatherapists are trained to know the effects of all the essential oils, and the following ingredients have long been used to bring about calmness, overcome stress, soothe nerves, bring about relaxation, prevent insomnia, and ease migraines. Look for professional blends with one or several of these ingredients:
Aromatherapy for Insomnia
- bassilicum (Ociumum bassilicum),
- bergamot (Citrus aurant bergamia),
- citronella (Cymbopogon winterianus),
- coriander (Coriandrum sativum),
- cumin (Cuminum cyminum L),
- lavender, (Lavendula angustifolia), (there are many varieties of lavender oil, all with different aromas and the same name. Lavender essential oil can be used directly on skin for burns.)
- mandarin (Citrus reticulata), especially good for children
- marjoram (Oreganum majorana),
- melissa (Melissa officinalis),
- petitgrain or bitter orange (Petitgrain bigarde, or Citrus x aurantium leaves),
- ravensara (Ravensara aromatica),
- rose geranium (Pelargonium capitatum x radens),
- spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi), and
- valerian root (Valeriana fauriei),
Aromatherapy for Stress
- balsam (Myroxylon pereira),
- blue tansy (Tanacetum annuum),
- cistus or rock rose (Cistus landaniferus),
- juniper (Juniperus communis),
- orange (Citrus sinensis),
- peppermint (Mentha piperita),
- Roman chamomile (Anthemis nobilis),
- rose geranium (Pelargonium odorantissium),
- clary sage (Salvia sclarea), and
- sandalwood (Santalum spicatum)
Aromatherapy for Calming Emotions
- coriander (Coriandrum sativum),
- cypress (Cupressus sempervirens),
- German chamomile (blue chamomile) (Metricaria recutica),
- jasmine (Jasmine grandiflorum),
- Roman chamomile,
- May Chang,
- peppermint (Pelargonium tomentosum),
- rosalina (Melaleuca ericifolia),
- rose (Morrocan, Otto or Bulgarian) (Rosa damascena),
- clary sage,
- Saint John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum),
- sandalwood (Osyris lanceolata),
- valerian, and
- ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata)
Aromatherapy for Nerves
- geranium (Pelargonium graveolens),
- jasmine (for nervous fatigue),
- juniper (for nervous strain),
- May Chang (Litsea cubeba),
- patchouli (Pogostemon cablin),
- petitgrain oil (for nervous exhaustion),
- penny royal (Mentha pulegium), and
- ylang-ylang (Cananga odorata) aka “poor man’s jasmine”
Aromatherapy for Exhaustion
- neroli (Citrus aurantium blossoms),
Aromatherapy for Relaxation
- angelica (Angelica archangelica roots),
- Canada balsam,
- penny royal (Mentha pulegium),
- Roman chamomile,
- vanilla (Vanilla planifolia), and
- vetiver root (Vetiveria zizanoides)
Aromatherapy for Migraines
- melissa, and
- mentha or peppermint
Different Types of Aromatherapy Products
Aromatherapy materials may include absolutes which use ethanol to extract oil, essential oils which are extracted with steam distillation or solvents, herbal distillates (hydrosols) which are liquid byproducts of distillation, infusions which are liquid extracts, or vaporized raw herbs which are crushed and used in vaporizers.
Aromatherapy Sleep Mask
An aromatherapy sleep mask can be used hot or cold to help alleviate headaches, migraines, sinusitis, and stress. They are excellent for air travel to help you sleep on the plane or to take a nap when it is still light outside.
Essential oils should, almost without exception, be diluted with a carrier oil before applying to your skin or adding to a mask or diffuser. Good carrier oils will have almost no scent and include grapeseed oil and jojoba oil. You can mix your own, or choose from professionally created mixtures. Professionally created mixtures can be the best and most economical choice since most aromatherapy blends have at least 6 to 10 ingredients, so making your own could become a large investment. If you have little experience with essential oils, it would be beneficial to try a few professional aromatherapy oil blends to get an idea of what you really like and respond to before venturing into mixing your own. Just like with baking, sometimes an aroma that you do not prefer by itself blends wonderfully with other ingredients.
Inexpensive brands use inferior ingredients and synthetic ingredients that do not perform well in aromatherapy blends, and have no proven benefits. Essential oils should always list the scientific, Latin botanical name on the bottle and be 100% pure botanical ingredients or 100% essential oils. For example: Pelargonium odorantissium. The ingredient “parfum” is not natural nor an essential oil and should not be heated or used in a diffuser.
Organically grown oils that are certified by the USDA or the appropriate governing authority are not only easier on the environment, but provide more benefits because they have been grown with a full range of nutrients, not just the typical nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium applied to conventional crops. Unless the label bears the green USDA symbol, any statement of “organic” is not authentic.
The Food Chemical Codex, or FCC, is the regulatory agency for essential oils. Its regulations do not guarantee that even the label “food grade” is made of natural products. To be suitable for aromatherapy benefits, depending on the country, oils are to be labeled “therapeutic grade.”
Aromatherapy Pillow Mist
Just before you go to bed, spray your pillow with a few pumps of pillow mist on your pillow, bedding, and pajamas. Choose a single ingredient or a mixture which is relaxing and sleep inducing for you. You will be surrounded with calming and soothing aromas all night and awake more refreshed.
The popularity of natural fragrances has prompted manufacturers to develop many ways to diffuse aromas into all the spaces of our lives, including our home, car and work.
There are many battery operated or electric models, and these can effectively diffuse aromas into an entire room. Simply put a few drops of aromatherapy oil on a pad, and the heat diffuses the aromas into the air. When the pads becomes darkened or you want to change aromas, replace the pad.
For small areas such as a desktop or nightstand, an efficient way to disperse calming aromas without the need for batteries, fire, or electricity is a reed diffuser. You simply fill up the bottle with diluted essential oils, insert the cap, and insert the reeds. Once a week, flip the reeds so that the opposite end is up.
To keep you in a good mood while driving, try a diffuser that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Choose a calming or invigorating essential oil or blend, not one that puts you to sleep.
Typical candles contain lead wicks and petroleum products. Opting for natural candles from beeswax or soy is a healthier alternative. Aromatherapy candles are most effectively used to warm an essential oil that is in a dish above the candle, since it takes large amounts of essential oils to scent the wax.
Price Range of Aromatherapy Products
Aromatherapy products, like most any product, follows the old adage of, “You get what you pay for.” Big box stores, department stores, and grocery stores in general sell only inferior products. When you are shopping, and you see a shelf with every bottle of essential oil at the same price, it is a good indication that they are all of poor quality.
The use of only common names on bottles should be an indication that the oils are of poor quality, since common names typically apply to several plants, each of which has varying properties and uses. High quality essential oils are taken from different plants and different parts of the plant, different countries, and have different extraction methods, and all of these should be listed on the bottle or accompanying literature. Aromatherapy oils have widely varying prices, and they should. For example, a bottle of quality lavender oil that is extracted from an entire plant does not cost nearly as much to produce as a bottle of rose petal essential oil, which takes several pounds of fresh blossoms.
Every once in a while you will feel tired and bored of your same routine. Sometimes it will be because you’re an early sleeper and sometimes because you don’t get to sleep at all. At such events, it becomes necessary to change your sleep routine. Given below are a few tips that will help you generate quick results.
First of all, don’t expect that your routine will change just in a single day. Stay patient and wait for the change. Put a 15 minute margin for each day. If you are persistent about your change, you will hopefully get desired results in 3 to 4 days.
Once this is done, don’t forget that if you need to sleep 15 minutes early then your routine bed time, everything of your daily routine needs to be planned 15 minutes earlier as well. This means that you eat early, and work out early as well. Sometimes when such a change is being taken, there might be unexpected wake up calls, right in the middle of the night. Don’t panic, its normal, your body is trying to adjust and see what each time accounts for. Go to the washroom and come back – this is done so that a little movement is encountered. Shift position from the way you were lying down before and try to sleep again.
Again, make sure all your activities are lined up way before the bed time. The more actively you participate in activities right before bed time, the more active your brain will be and the harder it will become to shift to night mode instantly. Tire out yourself a little before going to bed. Make sure no caffeine and / or sugary items are consumed before bed time as it will only keep you up.
Furthermore, try to give your body and mind a conducive environment to sleep. There must be no interference. And zero tolerance for this rule. Make sure that the light is dim and that there is no or very little sound and distractions.
Another factor is to try and move up your workspace to a different location from your bed or the place where you sleep. This helps two ways. One, your bed becomes less cluttered giving you more room and comfort. Two, your brain will recognize your bed as your sleeping spot, a spot where you will only go to relax and sleep. So whenever you will go to your bed, your brain will automatically shift to a low gear and try to get sleep as it knows it has entered a rest place.
If nothing else works, and you immediately need to sleep, you might want to try out a sleeping pill. But be sure to use those ONLY on the advice of a doctor. An overdose can become life threatening as well. And it is never a wise idea to get addicted to such pills. So keep it natural as much as you can.
You Are Welcome To Read :
If you are sensitive to slightest of noise then it is possible that you remain sleep deprived for several days in the wake of surrounding noises. Benefits of having a good night’s sleep are quite well known and it is established that a good sleep helps in developing healthy body and mind. There are many events that could disturb your sleep and most probably you won’t get it afterwards. It could be loud noise of television set, bad weather, loud music or gregarious snoring. Even if you feel it is impossible to sleep with so many noises, there are some ways by which you could achieve it.
- The first obvious option to shut down the outside sound is to close the windows. If your window is not properly caulked then it may fail to seal the outside noise hence in this case, seal the window gaps with paper cutouts. If the climate is hot and unbearable then just switch on your air conditioning system. This will also help in eliminating the outside noise as most of the air conditioning units create some or other kind of noise which would distract your attention from the outside noise.
- Hot water is best for getting good night’s sleep and if you are not in favor of bathing at night then just wash your legs and palms with hot water, you are surely going to get sound sleep. Even drinking warm milk at bedtime helps to obtain good sleep despite of outside music.
- Another way of getting sleep in heavy sound is to block the sound with other sound. This works best and if you have iPod or music player just put the soft music over the system and try to ignore the outside voice. It works effectively if you put the music over headphones while keeping the volume on lower side to help the brain relaxation.
- Lie down on the bed and by imagining each portion of your body, call out to relax. Start with your toe nails and work upwards but remember to engage every part separately. For example start as ‘my first finger of left toe is relaxing then second’ and so on up till head and hair strands. This movement engages your mind in different direction and slowly you will notice that you are getting sleepy.
- There is another way to get sound sleep in heavy noise and that is to construct and imagine happy event. This may seem foolish but it works for many people. What you have to do is to imagine a person with whom you want to spend quality time, and then imagine a dream destination putting elements that you fantasize. Next is to indulge yourself in possible conversations with the person and also imagine his/her replies. You can make it in the form of dream date, happy meeting or anything you like.
- If the sound is too loud then best way to get sleep in this condition is to count numbers starting from last to first. Imagine a number that should be of three digits and from that start counting backwards. This helps a lot to get sleep, as your brain is involved in counting activity, you will forget everything about the outside voice. If possible, count numbers in your mother tongue as it makes the procedure simple and effective.
- Record and listen a sound that sooths your mind, most people record relaxing sound of waves, air, gushing water or similar and listen with the help of recorder in night. This should be listened with the help of headphones to get maximum effect. The choice of sound is totally yours and if you are spiritual then you can record poems, chanting of OM and similar god related texts.
- The next tip may sound weird but helps many to get rid of the annoying sound. If you have ceiling fan at home then stare at the fan and its circular movements as this sometimes make the brain dizzy which could be concluded in sound sleep. If you don’t have ceiling fan then stare at any object present in your room that is moving which could be your wall clock.
If nothing helps in getting sleep then you may consider purchasing earplugs that seal the outside sound and provide healthy sleep. Having earplugs for sealing sound could be effective but it produces risk of sleeping until late because you won’t even hear the alarm clock. It is better that you try all the above mentioned tips as they would surely give you sound sleep in heavy outside noise.
You Are Welcome To Read :
What is a Sound Machine?
A sound machine creates background noise so that other noises are not so audible or perceivable, allowing you to ignore noises that keep you awake or wake you up during the night. Your sleep quality can have a dramatic impact on your quality of life, and being kept awake or being awakened during the night by a snoring partner, street noise, or noisy neighbors is not conducive to good sleep. A white noise machine or sound machine can help you to sleep by giving you a constant low noise to cover up other noise so that you can go to sleep and stay asleep.
Waking up several times in night is considered as one of the form of insomnia which could be triggered by several factors. Many people wake up in the night for repetitive bathroom trips and are unable to sleep quietly again. There are people who take almost one or two hours to get back to sleep which shows significant effect over the daily routine. The primary reason to wake up during the night is linked with metal condition. If the person is going through some or other kind of stress, tension or is depressed over something then he is very likely to face this problem. The transition of body into sleep after waking up is entirely related to your mental status and melatonin levels. If you are facing this problem repeatedly then try some of the following methods to get a sound and deep sleep throughout the night.
- Exercise– A group of people have conducted a study on this common problem and found that regular exercise brings remarkable benefits. Many individuals are wary of exercise and live a sedentary lifestyle which contributes to the difficulty. The first step will be to try and give some exercise to your body. To get rid of this trouble it is not necessary that you indulge in heavy exercises, but elaborative body stretches, yoga postures and meditation will surely help.
- Stress diminution- the next element that you should alter in order to get sound sleep throughout the night is stress reduction. The best way for reducing stress is meditation which is scientifically proven to work as stress buster. If you are wary of meditation then you could take help form professionals that would guide you on stress reduction strategies to regain the normal sleep schedule.
- Bedtime regime- you should follow certain bedtime activities that boost the production of melatonin and helps in getting sound sleep. There are certain activities that really bring effect on sleep duration such as hot water bath, warm drinks devoid of caffeine and so on. Try to form a bedtime regime and stick to it until you get the desired results. You can develop certain activities that might sooth you or make you happy such as peppy conversations with spouse or family members and similar stuff.
- Music therapy– this should be tried before and after sleep interventions because this is recognized to produce relaxing effect on body and mind. Suppose you woke up in the wee hours and unable to sleep even after 20 minutes, just play a soft music over your headphones and try deep breathing exercise. Both the things combined produce marvelous effects on the person as he is able to get asleep faster than normal.
- Medication– if nothing is helping you then you might try some alternative medicines either form Allopathic or from Ayurvedic doctors as they have some drugs that may sooth the mind to get sound sleep throughout the night. Allopathic medications sometimes cause side effects hence you should consider meeting ayurvedic doctors that are trained and have natural remedies for the sleep deprivation.
If the problem is due to frequent bathroom trips then make sure that you don’t drink any form of water before three hours of going to bed. These different techniques will surely help you to get sound sleep overnight.
You Are Welcome To Read :
It is not very unusual to think very clearly and loudly at night especially when you are in viagra bed. This happens because throughout the day you are so busy and hardly get a chance to stop and think, and so finally when you get in bed, and have nothing else to do there often come thoughts and wisdom. This is one of the reasons why some of the world renowned artists got inspiration at night time to write even better.