Christmas Eve is one of the most exciting night of the year, but also one of the most difficult nights to sleep. Between getting the children calmed down even enough to think about going to bed, making your guests comfortable, and preparing everything for the occasion, it can also be the most stressful night of the year. With a little planning, you can make sure the whole household is ready to go to sleep in a timely manner and have the best Christmas ever.
1) Read The Night Before Christmas. This classic story not only rhymes, but it rhymes at hypnotic intervals to put you to sleep fast. If this does not work, find the most boring book you have and read it.
2) Eat a turkey sandwich. Turkey has tryptophan, the substance responsible for making you feel tired after you eat Thanksgiving dinner.
3) Drink some eggnog. Milk has tryptophan, magnesium, and calcium, which all help you to sleep.
4) Turn off the computer, television, and cell phone. These electronic devices are stimulating, and not conducive to sleep.
5) Focus on all of your body parts starting at your toes and imagine them relaxing. Work your way all the way up your body to your shoulders, then down your arms, and then to the back of your head. This has a way of relaxing you and preparing you for sleep.
6) Think about the true meaning of Christmas and make a long list of all that you have to be grateful for.
7) Think about how Saint Nicholas, the original Santa Claus, helped the poor children of his time, and how you can give back to benefit others during your time.
8) Do not peek at your presents. This only spoils your surprise and makes Christmas unexciting.
9) Use some essential oils for aromatherapy. These have been used for centuries to bring about calmness and overcome insomnia. Good ones to try are lavender and clary sage.
10) Get everything organized and make sure everything is finished before you go to bed. This will keep you from wondering if you forgot something.
11) To your regular bedtime routine. Brushing your teeth and putting on your PJs tells your body it is time to go to sleep.
12) Take a warm bath with essential oils. This relaxes you, makes you fill warm all over, and get you ready to sleep.
13) Get up early Christmas Eve morning so that you will be tired earlier that night.
14) If you have children, make sure they get plenty of exercise during the day to wear them out so they will be ready to sleep early that night. Perhaps shorten their nap that day to help them sleep at night.
15) Do not worry about falling asleep. This just causes stress and makes harder to fall asleep.
16) Do not look at the clock after you go to bed. Counting how many hours it is until you have to wake up just causes frustration.
Christmas is one of the most exciting days of the year. You want to be at your best because this is the only time of the year you get to see some of your loved ones. Plan ahead to help yourself get a restful night’s sleep.